The Locksmith's House
KEYWORDS: Lock Making, Black Country, Museums
The Locksmith’s House is representative of a small family-run lock-making business, located in the Black Country town of Willenhall, which was once the lockmaking capital of Britain.
The Locksmith’s House illustrates a complete picture of what life would have been like for the Hodson family in the early 1900s. Having been in the lock-making business since 1874, Sarah and Richard Hodson and their four children – Edgar, Ida, Edith and Flora – moved to New Road, Willenhall in 1904.
Flora remained at New Road until 1984, when the house was given to a trust and opened as the Lock Museum, eventually to be re-named The Locksmith’s House.
KEYWORDS: Lock Making, Black Country, MuseumsDownload the Full Article (PDF)